Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Ex-spokesperson Joins Class Action Suit Against Hip Manufacturer


A former gymnast claimed that she has suffered severe pain due to her failed hip implant. Penny Brown, the 51 year old ex-gymnast, is in the process of filing a hip replacement lawsuit. Ironically, Brown was the spokesperson of the hip replacement device that has now failed her.

She used to encourage other people to get the hip implant. However, this time she joined hundreds of other individuals in filing a representative action against Depuy Orthopaedics, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson.

Penny Brown was advised to undergo revision surgery due to corrosion of the implant. Presently, she is recovering from the invasive surgical operation. She said in a statement, “I could not believe that I, who had so promoted and believed in the product, was falling victim to the design defect. The pain gradually became worse and worse and I was eventually told this year that I would need a revision as a result of the premature wearing caused by the ASR component. I cannot sit or stand for long periods and I’m a shadow of my former self, I’m no longer the hard working, vivacious woman I used to be and would still be if I had not had this implant. I’m extremely angry. As the poster lady for DePuy I’ve not only been let down personally but, as I encouraged others to have it, feel to some extent responsible for their suffering.” She continued, “I was due to have an ASR component for resurfacing of the left hip but the wrong size was delivered so I had to have a Birmingham hip implant instead. A few months later I had the other hip done with the ASA implant, which was heralded as leading technology allowing young patients to return to an active life, which I craved. I was told it would see me through well into retirement and reduce the likelihood of requiring further surgery during my lifetime. I was so pleased with the immediate results of the operations that I agreed to become the DePuy ‘poster lady’. I was included in all the promotional literature and taken to Monte Carlo to launch the product on stage, telling how the ASR transformed my life. I was the DePuys worldwide patient brand and my image was used extensively around the world over a five year period until 2008. Shortly afterwards I started to experience groin pain and a clunking sensation when walking – and then I discovered the product was being recalled. I’m terrified of ending up in a wheelchair. My entire life is on hold, I was offered a top job but had to turn it down because I need revision surgery and I don’t know how it will go. But I’ve never had a minute’s trouble from the Birmingham hip – if only I’d had it on both sides.”

The ASR hip replacement system has a high failure rate. According to reports, the implant's failure rate is double of what was previously anticipated. Based on the merged registry of Wales and England, more than 10% of ASR hip implant patients needed revision surgery after five years. As a result, more than a thousand implant patients were advised to meet with their physicians regularly for check ups.

Several personal injury law firms, such as the Rottenstein Law Group, have been helping injured patients with their cases. These law firms have created websites, such as the Rottenstein Law Group's rotlaw.com, to help monitor the status of lawsuits against the manufacturers of hip systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment